Tuesday, January 8, 2008

PRO-ANA / PRO-MIA: LA DANSE MACABRE

pro ana

"Ana's Last Night"

Lying here hungry ...
My whole body in pain ...
Should probably eat something ...
But I feel too ashamed ...

Starting to shiver now ...
Beginning to shake ...
God how I love this ...
How my body just aches ...

Got up for some cold water ...
Then to take a cold shower ...
Remind myself that soon ...
I'll be a delicate flower ...

Did 3 hours exercise ...
But I must do some more ...
Still got one pound to loose ...
Like the pound I lost before ...

Whoa, got a dizzy head rush ...
Colors dancing all around me ...
Like little tiny faerie angels ...
Wanting to set me free ...

Oh wow, I'm floating with them ...
Going high up in the sky ...
I finally made it! ...
To the thinness that is I ..."
~~~~~~~~~~

What is PRO-ANA?

"Pro-ana refers to the promotion or support of anorexia nervosa as a lifestyle choice rather than an eating disorder. It is often referred to simply as "ana" and is sometimes affectionately personified by anorexics as a girl named Ana." (from Wikipedia)

What is PRO-MIA?

"Pro-mia is the belief that bulimia nervosa is a lifestyle choice rather than an illness."

This belief, along with pro-ana, has been criticised for creating an environment in which those suffering from eating disorders might not seek treatment. Pro-mia supporters respond that they do not recognise bulimia nervosa as a disorder worthy of treatment but much like any social activity which, taken to extremes, can cause physical and psychological harm. They argue that although some of the pro-bulimia/anorexia sites promote the conditions in a positive way, the majority of them are a place where individuals can cope or share their pain with one another.
"(from Wikipedia)



~~~~~~~~~~


"Thin Commandments **

If you aren't thin, you aren't attractive

Being thin is more important than being healthy

You must buy clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, starve yourself, do anything to make yourself thinner

Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty

Thou shall not eat fattening foods without punishing oneself afterwards

Thou shall count cals and restrict intake accordingly

What the scales say is the most important thing

losing weight is good, gaining weight is bad

You can never be too thin

Being thin and not eating are true signs of willpower and success"

~~~~~~~~~~


THE PRO-ANA/PRO-MIA LINK TO KIMKINS





The starvation experienced by persons with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa can cause damage to vital organs such as the heart and brain. Pulse rate and blood pressure drop, and people often experience irregular heart rhythms or heart failure. Nutritional deprivation causes calcium loss from bones, which can become brittle and prone to breakage.

In the worst-case scenario, people with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa starve themselves to death. These conditions kill up to six percent of their victims.

Many people who followed the Kimkins starvation diet developed serious eating disorders, ultimately becoming pro-ana and/or pro-mia.

Two of the most prominent people who suffered disordered eating as a result of the Kimkins diet are Christin Sherburne and Deni Huttula, the two women featured in Woman's World magazine when that "magazine" (term used loosely) did a cover story on the deadly Kimkins Diet.

Since the publication of the magazine, both Deni and Christin have left Kimkins and reported the following potentially deadly effects they suffered, and continue to suffer, as a result of following the Kimkins diet:

From Deni:

"Kimmer's words in response to questions about people who think Kimkins is proana:

'Low Calories/Pro Ana We are low calorie after ketosis kicks in or with the shake option, but those calories are identical to post-WLS patients (500 cal a day for months), original Optifast and Medifast (450-700 cal a day for months). I don't think we can fight the '1200 calorie a day mentality'. Some people cannot understand that your body takes the calories it needs from body fat if the calories you eat are too low to sustain current weight. If you need 2500 calories (250 lb person) and eat 500 (number picked for easy math), the other 2000 are taken from body fat. In Jimmy's interview I meant what I said about take a Weight Watcher or Jenny Craig meal and remove the starches. What's left? Kimkins. There is no health advantage to adding carbs or extra fat, so why is removing them (and having less calories)
dangerous? 1200 calories a day is an arbitrary number (like 8 glasses of water). Anorexia is a psychological disorder.
Do we have people with ED on Kimkins? Of course. I weighed 318 pounds and you don't get that big without an improper relationship with food so I have an ED. But low calories aren't an ED, otherwise all of the WLS patients would be medically classified anorexic.' (bolding mine)

"I have seen Kimmer on NUMEROUS occasions tell people to eat less, even when they were eating less than 800 calories a day. She personally recommended to me when I started to stick to ranges between 600 and 800, and to drop to closer to 500 if I stalled. This is what Kimkins is... there is no way you can possibly stick to the "rules" of the plan and end up with more than 800 calories on a regular basis."

~ and ~

"Here's my side effects:

1. extra periods (told this was normal)

2. loss of hair ... loss of about 60% of my thickness if not more. (told it was normal, and even looked it up online for myself! Saw that it said it was common in people who were dieting and skimmed over the part that said "fad diets" or nutritionally deficient diets.)

3. Lightheaded dizzy spells- never mentioned these to anyone .. they were not an everyday occurrence, and I had them sometimes prior to this diet so I easily ignored them.

4. Weird blurred vision- like my eyes would dilate at different degrees... things would get fuzzy and look far away and warped.. I would then readjust my own "focus" and a few minutes later it was back to normal. Again.. I didn't mention it.. figured it was a fluke.. it only happened a few times.

5. heart flutters- never mentioned these to anyone either. Even when they happened, I dismissed them in my mind as quickly as I could. (these are still happening randomly)

Other strange things I noticed:

6. Peanut butter CRAVINGS... like really super cravings... and I knew I wasn't the only one having this. I read post after post after post about people who were feeling guilty for giving into peanut butter or any kind of nuts. So, I wrote this off as "normal"

7. Milkshake CRAVINGS... again.. these cravings were much stronger than any craving I'd ever had before dieting. I heard lots of other people also talk about craving milkshakes, including my mom who also did the diet.

both of these "cravings" were something that I, along with many others, chalked up to a strange coincidence, and I either ignored it.. or caved in a little and then felt extremely guilty about it.
Now, I'm really wondering if there is something in the peanut butter(nuts) and milk shakes that our bodies were SCREAMING for!!! Like maybe more fat? Calcium?

I often typed in "listen to your body" over and over again in posts.. and it wasn't until late August that I started to realize that even cravings were a way that our body tells us what it needs.

Anyway... I still don't know if there's anything wrong with me or not.. my doctor has ordered lots of tests to see where I'm "depleted" of certain things, and warned me strongly that while being extremely overweight isn't good for your health, or for you heart... that sometimes losing it all super fast and not getting all the nutrients necessary for bodily functions.. is an even quicker route to heart disease.

So, now I'm wondering.. where inside Kimkins does it list "possible side effects"? Where is the "warning label", the "if these symptoms arise, get it checked out announcement" ?
With EVERY weight loss pill or plan that I've ever been on, there has been a warning list.. and a "common side effects" or even "in extreme cases side effects" list.. that I always read. I know myself.. and I just about always choose NOT to take medicines that have side effects that concern me. If I had been warned about these things, I don't think I would have joined. If I had been warned about the possibility of these things, I certainly would not have convinced others to join!

The sad part really is, is that I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with these symptoms until I started reading OFFSITE.I hated reading those "other forums" because they made everything sound so bad. They made me feel bad, and they exaggerated things so much. But, the symptoms they mentioned sounded vaguely familiar to me. They knotted up my stomach, and made me want to either fight or run away and pretend I never heard what they said.
I saw some try to fight them....
and I resorted to my usual, curl up and ignore it technique for awhile.

If I did mention my worries to others inside Kimkins I only got pats on the back and reassurances that of course everything would be fine, and "that's normal, don't worry!"

And NOW.. it's even worse.. if you even ask about a negative effect, you're likely to be "accused" of stirring up the pot, or if you point out your negative side effects, you're likely to get banned. :(
How is that safe for other members??? Shouldn't everyone be made aware of symptoms to be on the look out for? I'm sure there are lots more negative effects that I didn't have... and from the stories I've heard elsewhere.. I can only count myself lucky.

This is not a joking matter, this is not time for a "band-aid" announcement that "of course, you should always check with your doctor". Or even comments to make those of us who "ignored symptoms" appear stupid or crazy or "extreme". This is time to get real and time to take your health seriously.

How many of you truly talked to your doctors about your plan?

Did you show him the food list?

Did you mention that you really only eat a few items on that list?

Did you show him your fitday?

Did you write symptoms off as normal because you heard someone else had the same thing?

I said that one of the reasons why I wanted to lose weight was because I wanted to be here long enough to see my kids and future grand kids grow up.

Now, it's possible that losing weight has lowered the chances of that actually happening.

I remember when we often joked about how Kimkins didn't need that little small print disclaimer of "results not typical" on our success stories.

Perhaps she does need to put up a disclaimer that "results ARE typical" on the side effects listing!!!

If you're still doing Kimkins, as written or not... please stop for awhile and really take a look at your own symptoms. Don't glorify your "pros" list and minimize your "cons" list.

You can get those "pros" with lots of safe plans, and eliminate the cons. Just think about it. And don't ignore the promptings of your heart right now." (all bolding mine)
~~~~~~~~~~

From Christin:

"The diet program is unsafe and can cause severe damage beginning with slow, unrecognized starvation and malnutrition.

Through the next few months, the dangers of this program became increasingly evident as more members began complaining of the same symptoms and side effects. Slow and steady starvation methods utilizing a caloric intake of significantly less than 1000 calories a day was the norm. The daily intake of less calories and less fat was not only encouraged, but praised as new members began to feel “snatty” (Slightly Nauseous All The Time), lightheaded, and generally weakened. Tips for controlling hunger varied but all were primarily synonymous with little to no caloric intake. All for the sake of losing weight fast. But at what cost to the individual’s physical and psychological condition?

Disguised eating disorders emerged; serious malnutrition indicators like hair loss, heart palpitations, electrolyte and potassium deficiencies were commonly reported. I did not learn of the potentially deadly side effects of my eating habits till after I completed the program. I had shrugged the symptoms that I had off as “typical” or short term.

Bottom line, starvation works to take off pounds – here, just like in Ethiopia or Dachau. The difference is that in those sad places, the people knew they were starving. Kimkins moderators are merely overweight peers with eating disorders of their own (speaking from personal experience), completely unqualified to assess what constitutes nutritional dangers.

Do not let the tantalizing beauty of rapid weight loss hinder the ultimate goal of a better life and good health.

There are many effective and safe weight loss programs out there today. Diet responsibly; do your research; always remember to speak with your physician regarding your plans. Do not desperately trade obesity for broken health."

~~~~~~~~~~

Ana Psalm **

Strict is my diet.
I must not want.
It maketh me to lie down at night hungry.
It leadeth me past the confectioners.
It trieth my willpower.
It leadeth me in the paths of alteration for my figure's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the aisles of the pastry department, I will buy no sweet rolls for they are fattening.
The cakes and the pies, they tempt me.
Before me is a table set with green beans and lettuce.
I filleth my stomach with liquids,
My day's quota runneth over.
Surely calorie and weight charts will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the fear of the scales forever.


Ana Creed **

I believe in Control, the only force mighty enough to bring order to the chaos that is my world.

I believe that I am the most vile, worthless and useless person ever to have existed on this planet, and that I am totally unworthy of anyone's time and attention.

I believe that other people who tell me differently must be idiots. If they could see how I really am, then they would hate me almost as much as I do.

I believe in oughts, musts and shoulds as unbreakable laws to determine my daily behavior.
I believe in perfection and strive to attain it.

I believe in salvation through trying just a bit harder than I did yesterday.

I believe in calorie counters as the inspired word of god, and memorize them accordingly.

I believe in bathroom scales as an indicator of my daily successes and failures

I believe in hell, because I sometimes think that I'm living in it.

I believe in a wholly black and white world, the losing of weight, recrimination for sins, the abnegation of the body and a life ever fasting.


Ana Prayer **

Forgive me Ana for I have sinned. It has been 30 seconds since my last confession.
I am weak, fat, and not worthy of such support.
I am ready to fall. I pray, please make me thin, tiny, non-existent.
Take me away from food, block it out.
I pray please for your guidance, for your firm voice to ring out in my head.
Yell at me please. Scream!
Keep me alone and away from the cupboards.
Help me to stay strong.
Be with me always and I will not forsake you.
Guard me from eating, committing sin against you.
I should rather than suffer than sin for there is strength in suffering.
Ana, I love you, please make me thin.

~~~~~~~~~~

Please, if you recognize pro-ana, pro-mia, or any other disordered-eating behaviour in any of your friends or loved ones, please notify their family immediately. It could mean the difference between life and death.

LINKS:

CHRISTIN:

DENI:

*POEM:

Follow on Buzz

18 comments:

OhYeahBabe said...

Your post made me shudder, Medusa. That woman has got to be stopped! People can deny all they want that this is what the plan is like, but there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. People who tweak Kimkins (and still call it Kimkins - a peeve of mine!) or people who think they'll just do it a short while are playing a really dangerous game. Once the eating disorder sets in, it's incredibly hard to back away. People who think they will just quickly get to goal and quit before they're dead are playing a really dangerous game. People who think Heidi Diaz can give them diet advice and not harm them are playing a really dangerous game.

Just a note to people who want to do it anyway - you need to understand that the weight will NOT stay off without extreme effort and even more eating disordered thinking. Read about the survivors who are seriously stuggling. You are not different, you just haven't been damaged yet. The damage can be potentially permanent and potentially lethal.

Considering the Kimkins diet? Read these first:
Kimkins Diet Scam Update.
Kimkins & Eating Disorders
Say no to Kimkins!
Kimkins Diet Survivors

This has got to STOP! Help stop this woman before she hurts anyone else. Kimkins members may join the Kimkins lawsuit. Here is a video that explains how easy it is to join the Kimkins lawsuit. Very little will be required of you, and you may help STOP THIS WOMAN!

Anonymous said...

wow. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

What a great post - a great reminder that Kimkins makes anorexic/bulemic behavior easier because you don't feel hungry. And let's not forget that with the boot camp option there is always a chance someone will end up with negative calories for the day. Scary, scary stuff.

A person who would put a diet out there that would help those with ED's perpetuate their ED's by making it easier is just pure evil. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately, this diet will never be eradicated from the internet, but Heidi Diaz MUST BE STOPPED!

Please, please, please, if you paid for a kimkins.com membership, sign up for the lawsuit. And if you haven't but are appalled anyway, help spread the word about the dangers of this diet.

Anonymous said...

I have a granddaughter with a feeding tube in her stomach because she can no longer take food by mouth. This is what anorexia does to the one who takes it too far. She has removed years from her life, maybe mine , too, with worry. People who encourage anorexia but w/o following their own advice have a serious hate on against people, young women in particular. Heidi can't hide behind the "they're adults and know what they're doing" theory any more. Anorexia kills rational thought, and ultimately its unswerving victims. Take her down!

OhYeahBabe said...

BufoDieter, that's a critical point! Thank you! The lack of hunger makes it easier to not eat. Plus, Heidi tells people that the symptoms of starvation are a positive thing (SNATT, for one).

I get angrier about this every day.
OYB

YOU can STOP THIS! Kimkins members may join the Kimkins lawsuit. Here is a video that explains how easy it is to join the Kimkins lawsuit.

OhYeahBabe said...

Anonymous, you said that so well. Do you have a blog??? You have important things to say!
OYB


YOU can STOP THIS! Kimkins members may join the Kimkins lawsuit. Here is a video that explains how easy it is to join the Kimkins lawsuit.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I am a member of Kimkins, and one poster there is very very troubling to me. I know the LCF board has mentioned her, but it is getting scary to see how little she eats, and how much she exercises.

She won't listen to ANYONE else on the board to eat more, she tells us to mind our own biz. Not sure what else to do, but she is frightening me with this behavior. Any suggestions?

B.

OhYeahBabe said...

Oh my goodness, Anonymous, that's a really HARD problem.What can you do if she won't listen? It's not like you can just call her mother, or set up an intervention. Or be near her so you can see how she reacts. It seems like you could easily drive her underground if you push too hard, but if you (as a group) don't get her attention she could die. It's alarming, for sure. I'm asking around for ideas. I'll post useful suggestions on my blog - http://www.kimorexia.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

POWERFUL powerful post, Medusa!

I hope many will read it and let it motivate them to join the ongoing fight to shut down Kimkins.

Anonymous said...

This is so exasperatingly hypocritical! How can anyone with a blog on a ‘pro’ anorexia website criticize someone else’s extreme diet plans? Can’t you see it’s just a way of justifying your own…

Medusa said...

Huh?

Anonymous, my site is NOT pro ana. Take some time and read my posts. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Medusa

Jan said...

Seems like the only difference between "pro-ana" and "kimkins" is that one is sold as a "diet" and the other as a "lifestyle" - but in the end it's both just a ticket to hell - but the plane does not fly back, you need to walk...

Anonymous said...

I am looking up bulimia b/c I have a project, but the more I read the more it scares me. I think my younger sister may be doing something similar to that. She is already a petite girl and is in grade nine. I remember her looking at her stomach, pinching the skin together. I told she is fine just the way she is. I know she throws up at least once a month claming she had a bad stomach ache. I have never seen her binge eat bit she usually skips breakfast and sill avoid lunch at all coasts. Supper doesn’t amount to much either. Today she was on wee fit and was very happy she dropped four pounds. She is now 90 Lb. I don’t know who to go to. Her teeth have also chipped in the front and has no idea what happened. Should I be worried? Every time I try to make her eat something it turns into a big argument. My mom is oblivious.

Anonymous said...

I am looking up bulimia b/c I have a project, but the more I read the more it scares me. I think my younger sister may be doing something similar to that. She is already a petite girl and is in grade nine. I remember her looking at her stomach, pinching the skin together. I told she is fine just the way she is. I know she throws up at least once a month claming she had a bad stomach ache. I have never seen her binge eat bit she usually skips breakfast and sill avoid lunch at all coasts. Supper doesn’t amount to much either. Today she was on wee fit and was very happy she dropped four pounds. She is now 90 Lb. I don’t know who to go to. Her teeth have also chipped in the front and has no idea what happened. Should I be worried? Every time I try to make her eat something it turns into a big argument. Our mom is oblivious.

Charlotte Thomson said...

I took the time to read ohyeahbabe's comments and i must say she is right on every fact she says i totaly agree with it.

Charlotte from http://pro-thinspiration.com

CathyKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CathyKay said...

Why is Kimkins allowed to continue?? The website is still accessible, she is still charging for participation. There is a Facebook page with posts as current as three hours ago. The posts are hawking the same old "success stories", recipes and food plans as those about which they were sued! They now compare the plan to the recommended plan for gastric bypass patients but without any of the supplementation that those patients require. How can this be??

Medusa said...

CathyKay, it boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Even after being sued in Riverside Superiour Court and a judgment rendered against Heidi Diaz and Kimkins, Diaz continues to peddle her deadly wares online. She was ordered by the Superior Court to post a Notice of the Court's decision on the Kimkins home page, which she has done, but it's at the bottom of the home page.

Hopefully, anyone searching "Kimkins" on the Web will see all the websites warning of its dangers.