Monday, February 11, 2008

REST IN PEACE, POLLY...



Polly Williams, who was profiled in the HBO documentary, Thin, died on Friday, February 8, 2008, at the age of 33. Polly suffered from anorexia nervosa for many years.

This is her last journal entry on the evening she died...

"FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 08, 2008 02:48 AM, EST

Hey guys!

I know. I am waayyyy overdue for an update. Life has just been super busy and crazy hectic. I have lots of updates, but I am just too dog-gone tired tonight. It is so late, and I have been working on stuff for my new position all evening. It is past my bedtime, so this little crazy gal needs to grab some beauty sleep. :-) I promise to update at some point this weekend.
Miss all of you so much. I know that I haven't been available much lately, but hopefully that will change soon as life calms down a bit. I just really appreciate all of your support and words of wisdom. I treasure every single message that y'all post, so thank you so much.
So...I am off to bed. Yawn! Yep, I am sleepy. :-)"

And then she was gone. Polly committed suicide.

~~~~~

In the documentary, Thin, Polly said...

“Dieting has always been a huge part of my life. I remember all the things that are signs of eating disorders being taught by my family; cut my food into really small pieces, and chew very slowly and take your time, and drink water in between so your stomach fills up faster. I was counting calories and fat by the time I was 11. "


For those of you on the Kimkins starvation diet, the Magic Chicken Diet, or any other VLCD (very low calorie diet), you, too, may be on the deadly path to an eating disorder and death. Those suffering from eating disorders often end their pain by taking their own lives.

Polly, may your spirit find the peace it never had on earth. You touched many lives and all are richer for having known you.

You may view the documentary, Thin, by clicking my blog post here:



And please visit the links below to read more about Polly.


LINKS:

http://mamavision.com/2008/02/11/polly-rests/#comments

http://www.laurengreenfield.com/index.php?p=0CQZC0QH

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/daileegirl (Polly's Journal)

Follow on Buzz

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so sad. She will definately be missed, even though I never knew her, I feel like I knew her through the THIN documentry, that's relaly sad but it shows the unfortant reality of eating disorders and how deadly they can be. R.I.P. polly.

Anonymous said...

In the end, Polly inflicted as great a pain on those who misguidedly attempted to save her from obesity as they inflicted on her for an all too brief lifetime of pain and denial. They will carry the scars of her untimely end to their graves. It is even more gutwrenching when the survivors are innocent of the forces that drive towards eating disorders; they blame themselves for not noticing the pain had returned.But in the final reckoning , we're helpless.

Unknown said...

So very sad! I thought Polly showed such spirit with great spunk and I had hoped she could use those attributes to help her recover from her ED.

She may have felt like she couldn't help herself, but her honesty and her story will help others.
Her life was not in vain and she hopefully is at peace now.

Anonymous said...

I was trying to reconcile that cheerful upbeat message with the fact her mental agony had become all-consuming. But of course! Suicidal people suddenly snap out of depression or a "bad mood" and become cheerful - once they have positively determined to die. Polly was in a war zone, the enemy was food, and she was suffering from PTSD for many years, until the daily war evaporated her strength. My heart bleeds for her and my own granddaughter's daily struggles. I hope our story has a happier ending.

OhYeahBabe said...

Such a terrible loss. I was so sorry to hear this news.
OYB
My blog: Kimorexia

Anonymous said...

Oh - I was so wishing we'd hear positive follow up about the women on that documentary. I really hoped that after going through the filming of that show, they would have had the resources and support they needed to recover from this horrible disorder. Having never gone through it myself, it's so hard to relate to the pressures they all must feel, daily.
It's so sad to hear about Polly's death. My prayers will go out for her family and friends, that they will be able to support each other and find the strength to get through this horrible ordeal.

Thanks Medusa, for keeping us informed.